Thursday 8 September 2011

Participation In Occupation 2 - Mindfulness Cooking

The purpose of this post is to share my previous experiences of cooking and what this activity means to me personally as an Occupational therapy student. I will also discuss how the activity of cooking may be used in my future practice in the big wide world as a qualified Occupational Therapist......(Woah scary thought!!).
I have many previous memories of cooking with Mum when I was a young child as well as memories of myself lingering around the kitchen smelling all the delicious food that was being prepared or cooked for the family!  I have always taken interest in the activity of cooking and today I really enjoy experimenting and creating new and exciting dishes, (that’s of course when I can find the time around my study). However, some days I find myself really struggling to find the motivation to cook or create a meal. On the other hand, when I have the energy and am inspired to cook I get a huge sense of satisfaction on what I have created!
I think for me as an Occupational therapy student, cooking is important to accomplish and manage as it is an extremely important activity of daily living (one that I must carry on doing throughout my entire life). Not only does cooking continuously teach me new skills and provide me with enjoyment it also provides me with opportunities to bond with future clients when out in the big OT world!
Mood changes frequently and when I am in the right ‘head space’ to cook it really can make a difference in how the food tastes and looks. I am a lot more mindful with my cooking when I am inspired and enjoying doing it rather than trying to slap something together quickly to get it over and done with!

No comments:

Post a Comment