Wednesday 21 September 2011

What is ergonomics?.........
According to Caulton and Dickson (2007, p.93), “ergonomics underpins the ability to constantly make slight invisible adjustments to an activity to adapt to the needs of those taking part and ensure that it continues to work for its intended purpose”.  When reading this quote I understand ergonomics as fitting the individual to suit the needs required to undertake the activity engaged in.  In relation to my activity of cooking, ergonomics is an important factor as it influences my sense of satisfaction after creating a dish. A tidy environment is essential for me when I am creating in the kitchen.  If I approach a messy kitchen my motivation to explore and try new things decreases and I am less likely to feel that great sense of “achievement”!
When I take myself back to last week when I decided to create a new dish. I got into the car at 4pm after a long day studying and felt like a needed a break, I needed to use my brain on something that wasn’t study related. As I was driving home I decided I was going to create “cat spews” a sweet treat a girl at work had given me the recipe for. Yes I know the name doesn’t do much in terms of advertising but believe me these delicious treats taste a million dollars. As I drove home I gathered in my head the ingredients I needed: white chocolate, coconut, cranberries, corn flakes….Check!! I was looking forward to getting home pulling my sleeves up and getting into it UNTILL……I walked in the door and saw that the kitchen was in a mess!! Grrrr immediately I was put off from engaging in this activity. I thought to myself ( I don’t want to waste all my energy on tidying up before cooking). The physical environment is a huge aspect for me to consider when cooking and this is a component of ergonomics.
References:

Caulton, R. & Dickson, R.  (2007).  What’s going on? Finding an explanation for what we do.  In J. Creek & A. Lawson-Porter (Eds.), Contemporary issues in occupational therapy (pp. 87-114).  Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alex!
    I know the feeling. When you get all excited to get busy in the kitchen and then you walk in and find out that there's more work than you bargained for. Straight put off. In your post you made a good connection to ergonomics, and it was interesting to hear about your 'cat spews' recipe as well. Awesome post =).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex
    Cat spew sure sounds good with the ingredients that you mentioned. I have to say that I agree with both you and Yasmin about getting home to a dirty kitchen. Very good post.
    Kate =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post alex and very interesting, it makes me consider now when I cook and how ergonomics affects they way I perform the task :). Have you considered planning ahead to ensure you will have a tidy kitchen so it will not effect your performance of cooking?

    ReplyDelete