Wednesday 19 October 2011

Ambience

According to Webster (2011), ambience can be defined as: a feeling or mood associated with a particular place, person or thing. "Ambience describes the feeling created by a particular nature of an activity when it is being done for itself" (Butler, personal communication, 2011).
In relation to my activity of cooking my mood and feelings are important factors that influence how I cook and feel about myself as a person. In my first post: Participation in Occupation 2 – Activity: Cooking, I discussed how my mood can play a significant role on how much effort and time I put into my cooking. The atmosphere and the people apart of this environment when I enter the kitchen often can trigger many different moods and either inspire me to want to create or put me off the idea of preparing and cooking a dish.
For example on Sunday night I had invited family friends over to come and watch the All Black’s play their rugby semi-final for the World Cup. Everyone arrived in a very happy and excited mood dressed in their black and white. This immediately put me in a joyful mood and I wanted to make a dessert for everyone to celebrate the achievement of our mighty men in black! I started creating my apple pie and my visitors mingled in the kitchen to keep me company when I was making the dessert. We started to laugh and joke around and the atmosphere sent off a relaxing and happy vibe. According to de Lore and Brooke-White (2000), in any home the kitchen is often the place where friends and family congregate. Conversations, gossip humour and ideas flow freely in the relaxed atmosphere of the kitchen. I wanted to share this quote as I feel it fits nicely with my story I have shared in this post and reinforces that the ambience of this environment influenced my mood and feelings when participating in my activity of cooking.
References:
de Lore,  C. & Brook-White, J. (2000).  Every kitchen tells a story.  New Zealand: HarperCollins Publishers
Webster, M. (2011). Ambience. Retrieved October 19th 2011 from: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ambience

No comments:

Post a Comment