Thursday 20 October 2011

Practical Considerations

According to Christiansen & Townsend (2004,) practical considerations can be defined as: objects and tools necessary to engage successfully in occupations. When relating this quote back to my activity of cooking it is clear to say that practical considerations play an important role in my cooking.
A couple of months ago my street’s power was cut due to a faulty cable that was situated at the end of my driveway. We were told by the power company that unfortunately we were going to be out of power for at least a couple of days due the fact they had to dig up the ground and replace the cable. This really affected life in general however, the most frustrating thing was it made cooking and preparing dinner EXTREMELY difficult. I vaguely remember getting home from Tec and opening the fridge up to start preparing a roast chicken for that evening, my head was full of thoughts regarding Tec and I stupidly pulled the chicken and put it into the roasting dish (without clicking that there was actually no power). I seasoned the chicken with mixed herbs and a touch of salt and pepper and walked to the oven to turn it on however, soon enough realised that THERE WAS NO POWER……DURRRRRRRRRR! This obviously affected the fact that I was going to have to accept roast chicken was a write off for the night and I had to be extremely creative with what I was going to prepare for dinner. This example shows that in this case the practical consideration of the oven played an important role in the success of my dinner that night and without the oven this meal could not be prepared and therefore was obviously not consumed.
These two days without power felt like the longest days of my life and I can easily say that I defiantly learnt how to adapt with limited resources!

References:
Christiansen, C. & Townsend, E. (2004). Introduction to Occupation: The Art and Science of Living. New Jersey: Pearson Education Inc.

1 comment:

  1. that must have been frustrating! how specifically did you adapt from having no power? in what ways did you become creative, where there any parts you enjoyed of the challenge? could be interesting to link to a pioneering perspective.

    ReplyDelete